Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Quinoa Salad GF


I made this salad at the same time as the Green Bean, Pea and Haricot Bean Salad when we had very little food to choose from in the cupboard and fridge.  The ingredient list is small because I was short of fresh vegetables apart from carrots - we NEVER run out of carrots, We didn't even have an onion, yikes! Though it's quite plain, it just proves that you can create something from virtually nothing! 
Normally I wouldn't have posted this salad but since several people requested the recipe, here it is! If you've got a red onion, I suggest you add it to the roasted vegetables...

Quinoa Courgette and Carrot Salad GF 

1 large courgette
3 medium carrots
100g baby plum tomatoes
100-125g quinoa
water or vegetable stock (double the volume of quinoa)
extra virgin olive oil
2 heaped tsps dried oregano
½ tsp paprika (or more)
sea salt
2 tblsps chopped fresh parsley
4 or more finely chopped mint leaves
juice of half a lemon (I just squeezed it by hand)
freshly ground black pepper

Set the oven to  190°C. Slice the courgette.


Slice the carrots.


Tip the carrots and courgettes into a roasting dish and drizzle with two or three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.


Sprinkle with the dried oregano, a large pinch of sea salt and paprika to taste (I don't really measure it, I just sprinkle it on) then roast in the oven for about 45 to 50 minutes or until soft. After about 40 minutes add the sliced baby plum tomatoes.


Meanwhile cook the quinoa, I used white quinoa but red would work well. Thoroughly rinse the quinoa under running water because the seeds are coated with saponins, naturally-occurring plant chemicals that result in a bitter taste if the seeds aren't rinsed enough. Tip the seeds into a pan and pour the water or vegetable stock over. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, at this point the white curly germ will have separated from the seed. Take off the heat, put the lid back on and leave until the rest of the water is absorbed.


When the vegetables are cooked, tip into a bowl with the oil in the pan. Add the quinoa and the chopped herbs.


Squeeze the juice from about half a lemon over the top and add some freshly ground black pepper. Stir well. 


Either serve straight away or leave to cool in the fridge.



Please come and say hello on Facebook and Twitter !

This recipe is linked to Fight Back FridayFit and Fabulous FridaysFreaky FridayAllergy Friendly FridayGallery of FavoritesWellness Weekend

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is perfect timing. I needed a new quinoa recipe for camping and I have all of the ingredients at home. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love quinoa! and this sounds so delicious! so colorful! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the simplest salads taste the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This salad is beautiful, Vicky! And no doubt tastes wonderful as well. :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful salad sweet Vicky! I love that you used what was available in your fridge. I can't have quinoa, but I would enjoy the veggies and herbs on their own! My hubby and son can have the quinoa though. (I never run out of carrots either! :) Wonderful summer dish! Have a beautiful day! xo~Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks SO good! It is amazing what you can make from an almost empty fridge - sometimes those are my best recipes! I really like the way you have seasoned this dish, and all those lovely vegetables look so good with the quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Vicky.
    So far I have been a total failure at cooking Quinoa ... I end up with a semolina-like sticky mess ... and a burnt pan! (and I am not that bad a cook normally!!). Looking forward to copying your recipe.
    John (I know Peter!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John! Lovely of you to comment - this is a very basic recipe which I put up at the request of people on Face Book, wouldn't normally have posted it. There is so much more you can do with quinoa.

      Delete