Sunday 24 June 2012

Egg-Free Mayonnaise GF SCD


Since making my Coleslaw a few weeks ago, I developed the mayonnaise recipe further and I used this one for my Waldorf Salad. We have been making it regularly since we think it works wonderfully as a real mayonnaise alternative.

Egg-Free Mayonnaise GF SCD

½ cup (120ml) organic raw cashews soaked for 2 hours in spring/filtered water
3½ tblsps organic walnut oil (or oil of your choice - we love this one)
1 large floret of cauliflower
60 ml filtered or spring water
3 tblsps lemon juice  
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp honey (agave nectar for vegan not SCD)
1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar 
pinch salt

Soak the cashews in spring or filtered water for at least two hours.



Drain and tip into the blender with the cauliflower.



Blend until smooth.



Slowly add the walnut oil to the blended cashews and cauliflower. Add the mustard powder.



Squeeze the lemons.



Add the honey (or other liquid sweetener), lemon juice, cider vinegar and salt to the blender and blend together until smooth. Pour into a glass container and chill in the fridge for at least an hour. However, this is best made at least one day before if possible because the flavours come together very nicely when it's been well chilled. If you think it's a little too thin, add a little more cauliflower. Though the dressing does thicken over a few days stored in the fridge.



I can't take credit for this recipe since if you read my Coleslaw recipe, the original idea is from this recipe by Tess Masters.  I've changed the quantities and this is what I think works best.