Friday, 5 October 2012

Courgette and Roasted Cherry Tomato Soup GF SCD


Growing up I don't remember ever eating soup unless it came from a tin. Even though everything else was made from scratch, I suppose pushing veggies through a sieve was probably not worth the hassle. The immersion blender - what an amazing invention! Now soup is so easy to make. 

Don't worry if you don't own an immersion blender, an ordinary blender is just as good, it's just a bit messier to clean!

Courgette and Roasted Cherry Tomato Soup GF SCD

350g cherry tomatoes
3 medium courgettes (zucchini)
1 large onion
2 large cloves garlic crushed
handful fresh basil leaves
½ tsp dried oregano
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
filtered water


Set the oven to 180° C (fan/convection oven). Wash the tomatoes and slice in half. Tip them into a glass oven dish. The reason I use a glass dish is because I want to pour all the juices from the roasting pan into the soup and glass works better than enamel, I think.



Tear the basil leaves and sprinkle over the tomatoes.  Add a teaspoon of sea salt and drizzle one or two tablespoons or extra virgin olive oil slowly over the top.



Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil gently in a pan and chop the onion.



Add the onion to the pan and fry gently for about five minutes or until translucent. Slice the courgettes.



Add the courgettes and the crushed garlic to the pan.



Cover with a lid and cook gently for about 20 minutes or until the tomatoes are cooked.



When the tomatoes are cooked, remove from the oven.



Add the tomatoes and their juices to the pan.



Pour over enough water to cover the vegetables and add the oregano.



Bring to the boil then simmer gently for about 20 minutes. Blend with an immersion blender adding a little extra water if the soup is too thick.



Serve and enjoy!

Please come and say hello on Facebook and Twitter !

This recipe is linked to Wellness WeekendHealthy Vegan FridayMonday ManiaMake Your Own MondayHearth and Soul Blog HopSlightly Indulgent TuesdayTraditional TuesdaysFat TuesdayGluten-Free WednesdaysAllergy Free WednesdaysGAPS Friendly Friday

10 comments:

  1. Immersion blenders have to be one of my favorite kitchen tools! I love the creaminess pureed zucchini adds to soup, and this one sounds amazing with the roasted tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! I couldn't be without mine now!

      Delete
  2. Hi Vicky,

    You know I love my roasted veggie soups! Gasp - those picture are just stunning. LOVE them. What a beautiful recipe.

    Hope you're well lovely lady.

    Have a great weekend.

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber! Yes, roasted veggies in soups are amazing!

      I'm good thanks! Hope your weekend is lovely too!

      Vicky x

      Delete
  3. Another yummy looking recipe Vicky! I am quite enjoying my immersion blender for soups right now too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joann! I might just be putting a few soups on the blog this winter - shame they don't have the same attraction as chocolate does though!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely, healthy soup - I really like the courgette/tomato combination. I also like the idea of roasting the tomatoes first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures' Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

    Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Vicky, Was lovely to share a meal with you all at Prashad the other night and thanks so much for telling me about your wonderful blog. I made this!!! And it was just beautiful. I really need to get me and our family back to eating more healthy again and this recipe was a good simple introduction into doing that. With freshly bought ingredients the flavours were crisp, distinctive and zingy and I liked this soup very much. Will definitely be making this again. Keep up the amazing work! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!!! I really enjoyed the other night too, you'll both have to come up here and a have a meal with us and bring the children if you like, don't let that stop you! We'll definitely have to sort out a date!

      This is our favourite soup of the moment so I'm really pleased you tried it! x

      Delete