Sunday, 4 November 2012

Grain Free Gingerbread Men GF SCD


I've made dozens of these gingerbread men in the effort to create the taste and soft, slightly chewy texture of the original parkin pigs and gingerbread men I enjoyed as a child. Bonfire night (or Plot Night) on November 5th is a huge event in the UK. It celebrates the failed attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament on November 5th 1605 and the capture of Guy Fawkes who was found in the cellar guarding the barrels of gunpowder.


Remember, remember the fifth of November,
Gunpowder treason and plot.
We see no reason
Why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!


Gingerbread Men GF SCD
200 g almond flour
3 tblsps extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
80ml or ⅓ cup honey or other liquid sweetener (not SCD)
2 heaped tblsps ground ginger
½ heaped tblsp ground cinnamon
⅛ tsp ground cloves
2 rounded tblsps date paste (100g dates will make more than double the quantity needed)
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp ground sea salt
baking paper
foil

If you can, please use scales and stick to my measurements but if you need to convert them or use a Fahrenheit oven setting, please see the tab at the top of the page marked measures. These are approximate though since it depends on the size of your cup.

This recipe works equally well with extra virgin olive oil or with coconut oil. The texture is slightly different.  My daughter prefers the evoo recipe, my husband and I prefer the coconut oil recipe, though I always think that coconut oil leaves a slight after taste.

It has been trial and error calculating the spices. I use measuring spoons in the recipe above. If you find it isn't enough for your taste, increase the ginger and cinnamon a little. If you find it a little too spicy decrease the ginger and cinnamon, try level measures. I used two different brands of ginger and one was stronger than the other! On all occasions, I didn't level off the spoon and I was quite generous with the ginger and cinnamon.

You will have to start this recipe a few hours before you want to bake the gingerbread because you need make the date paste. I make too much date paste for one recipe because my chopper won't work with just a few dates. The paste isn't wasted since you can always make some more gingerbread or use it in smoothies or cakes or other cookies. Tip about a dozen or 100 grams of dates into a bowl, add some warm, filtered water and leave for up to 3 hours until soft.



Tip the dates into the chopper, saving the water. Chop until blended adding a bit of the saved soaking water as necessary to make a smooth paste. I used about half a tablespoon, you may need more or less.



Heat the oven to 170° C (fan/convection oven). Measure out the almond flour into a bowl then pour the honey into a pan and add the date paste, ginger cloves and cinnamon. Heat the honey, paste and spices until the mixture begins to bubble around the edges. Take the pan off the heat, add the oil and stir.



Add the bicarbonate of soda to the pan, the mixture will froth up.



Add the salt to the pan then add the almond flour little by little, beating the mixture as you go.



Scoop the mixture out of the pan and squeeze the mixture a little until it is smooth. If it's a bit sticky, don't worry because once it's cooled down it'll be fine. Wrap in parchment paper or foil and leave in a cool place for about an hour or more until cool. If you initially cool it in the fridge a little it will speed the process up but take it out before fully cool because the dough needs to be at room temperature before it cooks



Lay on a large piece of grease proof or baking paper and roll the dough to about ¼" or 6-8 mm thick. You can start the process by folding the paper in two and rolling the dough over the top of the paper.



The dough will roll out without the paper, and I finish it off by rolling it without the paper on top. Cut out your gingerbread men. Gather up the leftover bits and squeeze or knead together before rolling out again.



During my many practices, I made 5 large gingerbread men from the dough but today I made 8 slightly smaller ones. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment if you are using extra virgin olive oil. If you are using coconut oil, you could choose to grease the tray and bake directly on the tray or use the baking paper. If you like, you can decorate the gingerbread men with dried fruit to make a face. Just cut raisins or peel to size. Press the fruit well into the dough. These are the larger gingerbread men I made.


  
Bake in the oven for 10 to 20 minutes depending on the size and thickness of the gingerbread. The smaller ones I made took 13 minutes, the larger ones took 20 minutes. Lay a sheet of foil over the top after about 8 minutes if you think they are browning on the edges. Watch carefully, the gingerbread is ready when it feels firm on the top and doesn't leave an imprint when you touch it gently. Leave on the tray to cool for at least 20 minutes. If you have not used the baking parchment, loosen gently with a spatula after about 15 minutes.






Carefully lift and placing on a cooling rack.






Decorate as you wish. Of course this dough can be cut into any shape you like, Christmas shapes will be on our agenda this year!

Please come and say hello on Facebook and Twitter !

This recipe was linked to Monday ManiaMelt in Your Mouth MondayMake Your Own MondayGluten Free MondayFat TuesdaySlightly Indulgent TuesdayTraditional TuesdaysHearth and Soul HopGluten-Free WednesdaysWhole Foods WednesdayAllergy-Free WednesdaysWheat-Free WednesdayFull Plate ThursdayTasty TraditionsGluten Free FridaysWhole Food FridaysWellness WeekendPotluck PartyFreaky FridayGallery of FavoritesAllergy Friendly ThanksgivingHealthy Vegan FridayPotluck PartyFood on FridayHearth & Soul HopFat TuesdayGluten-Free Wednedays

52 comments:

  1. you did such a great job creating a gluten free gingerbread man that is healthy too. I'll pin it for future .. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judee! We love gingerbread so creating a grain free version was a must this year!

      Delete
  2. These look beautiful! I think it is so creative that you used date paste in the recipe... it seems like that would replicate the taste of molasses. I'm going to make these at Christmas time for sure! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Lauren! I've used date paste instead of molasses in my ginger cake recipe too, it really is a great alternative to molasses!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Vicky, these are absolutely magnificent! Absolutely brilliant job! I see these going on the menu for my support group's Christmas tea. :-)

    xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley, I hope everyone enjoys them! We will be making them at Christmas too. Oh and thank you for the share on FB!

      Delete
  4. I love how you decorated the gingerbread with dried fruit! Thanks for linking up on Gluten-Free Monday at OneCreativeMommy.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! We've been using dried fruit for as long as I can remember much healthier than icing though sometimes icing does add that extra something! Thank you for pooping over!

      Delete
  5. it sounds like such a delicious treat... Love the decoration as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ewa, so lovely to see you here!

      Delete
  6. Delicious and healthy ginger bread love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and so lovely of you to pop over Swathi! I shall be sharing at The Hearth & Soul Hop tonight!

      Delete
  7. These look amazing! I can't wait to try them :) I wonder if they would be structurally sound enough to make a house out of (if I can figuire out a sugar free icing to stick it all together that is).

    So excited, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph, thank you! and yes I think if you bake the pieces a bit longer with the foil on top, they may be OK. You could try a lowering the temperature too. I'll have a think about the icing......

      Delete
    2. Thanks for such a quick response! I will definately try out the men and keep the recipe on file for a gingerbread house one day. I was thinking maybe an arrowroot and honey/maple type combo for the icing, but even when I ate sugar icing wasn't my strong point, so I'll need to experiment. Royal icing and Fondant replacements are on my to do list for the future! :)

      Delete
  8. These look so yummy! I'd love for you to share your recipe on my new blog hop, {Wheat-Free Wednesday}! Hope to see you there! :)

    http://www.annemariecain.com/wheat-free-wednesday-11-07-12/

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne-Marie, of course I will share it there!

      Delete
  9. These are so cute and sound delicious! I love ginger snaps and gingerbread, so I will definitely have to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  10. These are great for the holidays - thanks!
    I would love to have you share this on Thursday at Tasty Traditions: http://myculturedpalate.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, Vicky! I love you so much right now!! These look so amazing. I can't wait to make these with my kids. I really want to make cookies with my kids this year, and a few other ginger bread recipes I've tried in years past are very exhausting with a long ingredient list. These are just wonderful and I LOVE they are grain free and so easy to work with. Don't you just LOVE dates?!?! Thank you for a great recipe. I will let you know how they turn out. :-)

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber, I hope everyone likes them! Yes,dates are an awesome sugar alternative, especially with ginger based cookies and cakes.

      Delete
  12. Vicky, I love these! ;D
    Just today... really Today ~ my girl asked me if we could make gingerbread cookies ;D
    and... silly me said it's too soon. But I think it was a sign that I need to find your recipe first and then do them ;D
    We made some other cookies - but I've been craving gingerbread spices secretly anyway ;D
    xoxo
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ella! It's not too soon in the UK to have gingerbread, though I guess they're a more Christmas time treat over there! If you do make them don't be too shy with the spices!

      Delete
  13. What an an awesome recipe! I was just thinking about how sad I am that I'm going to be missing out on all my favorite holiday treats since going off the grains- thank you for proving me wrong.

    http://loveletters710.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan! Thank you, no you don't have to miss out! Thank you for popping over!

      Delete
  14. Stopping by from Gluten Free Friday. These look great! I've just started experimenting with almond flour. Do you have a specific brand you like or do you grind your own? Do you recommend almond meal or flour? Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you! I've been baking with almond flour for years now and I always find that the finer the grain the more successful the baking is. But I live in the UK and generally I order my flour from HBS Foods. Just recently I've been buying from the supermarket because it's so much cheaper BUT it's not as fine.

      I always use flour, I've never seen the meal in the UK.

      Thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful recipe!!! I love that you made them grain free and I can't wait to try them. I'm pinning this right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassidy! It's such a long time since I ate wheat but I reckon they're almost as good as the real thing!

      Delete
  16. These are SO cute!!! Thanks for kicking off the Gluten Free Fridays party this weekend! WOOT! We have some awesome recipes and they just keep coming!! So....Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Vicky,
    I just love Gingerbread and what person wouldn't want one of these precious Gingerbread Men, awesome! Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miz Helen! Thank you and you are most welcome!

      Delete
  18. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures' Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

    Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome and thank you for the feature!

      Delete
  19. Your Gingerbread Men are so cute, and they sound so tasty too. I love the idea of using the date paste in them too - it must add a lovely rich flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April, I use date paste in quite a few baked goods, I must get around to taking photos and sharing the recipes x

      Delete
  20. Thanks for sharing at {Wheat-Free Wednesday} last week. Your post has been pinned to my Pinterest board and shared on my FB page AND is featured this week! I hope you'll share again:

    http://www.annemariecain.com/wheat-free-wednesday-thanksgiving/

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anne-Marie, I'm delighted you like the gingerbread men and feel honoured that you featured the recipe!

      Delete
  21. Replies
    1. Thank you for popping over and aren't they just!

      Delete
  22. Vicky,
    I love your recipes!! These are wonderful! I am featuring this at WFF this week. Thanks for sharing!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan! I feel so honoured! You are most welcome, it's a fantastic linky party!

      Delete
  23. This looks amazing! My nutritionist just suggested I go grain free a few days ago, so this is a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! I hope you like them!

      Delete
  24. cute, thanks for linking this in as well. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, I LOVE that you made these GF gingerbread men! I've been looking for something like this for ages - thank you :) I wondered if you'd ever tried to make the exact same recipe using coconut flour instead of almond flour for an even finer texture? I'm also thinking of trying it with a mixture of coconut and tapioca flour to see how that goes ... just thought I'd share an idea :) Thanks for your blog - it's marvellous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shona and thank you!! I've not tried with coconut flour, if you do please let me know how they turn out :)

      Delete
  26. Your grain-free gingerbread men look amazing & super delicious! :)
    I will make them soon but with different cookie cutters! I happen to have more than 250 cookie cutters! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love them as much as we do - 250 cutters - OMG! that IS a collection. Please post a picture on my Facebook page if you make them and I'll share it!

      Delete