Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Grain & Sugar Free Banana and Walnut Bread GF SCD


I fell in love with banana bread when I first made it in Domestic Science classes at school. But if you like a dryish textured banana bread, you won't like this recipe since this is the opposite. I took some of this bread into work and shared it with my colleagues asking for an honest opinion and I was so pleased that they all really liked it. But this is a work in progress and the best way to describe this bread at the moment is "Rustic"!

Quite often we get left with some very ripe bananas in the fruit bowl.



If you are following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, the only way you should eat bananas is when they are fully ripe and well speckled with brown/black spots because at this stage the carbohydrate which is present in the unripened banana has been converted to monosaccharide sugars which are easily absorbed by sufferers of IBD.




They're also ideal for use in banana bread! The recipe below uses dates instead of sugar or honey and contains no added fat in fact, I only tend to use a small amount of added fats or oils when I'm cooking with almond flour since almonds are naturally high in fat. 



Banana Bread GF SCD

275g very ripe bananas (about 2 small/medium in their skins)

250g almond flour
65g chopped walnuts
3 large eggs (extra large eggs in the US)
80ml date paste
1 tsp organic cider vinegar (optional)
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of sea salt


Make the date paste according to my instructions but don't add in too much water. Set the oven to 160° C (fan/convection oven) and line a 2 pound loaf tin‎ (7½" x 3½" x 2½" (19cm x 9cm x 6.5cm)) with a liner or parchment paper. 




Chop the walnuts in the food processor bowl and tip into a bowl.



Break the eggs into the bowl and add the bananas, date paste and a pinch of salt.



 Blend well.



Measure the almond flour and bicarbonate of soda into another bowl and add slowly to the wet mixture.



There is a slight difference in texture when using the cider vinegar in the recipe but not so much as to make a huge difference so if you want to add it into the mixture pour it in at this stage. Then reserving a tablespoon of walnuts for the top, tip the chopped walnuts into the bowl and pulse a couple of times. Quickly pour the mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle the reserved walnuts on top. If you wish, you can add all the walnuts into the wet mixture.



Cook in the bottom half of the oven of the oven for about 60 to 70 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the bread comes out clean and the bread is firm to touch and springs back when gently pressed in the centre. Cool on a rack for about 15 minutes in the tin then carefully remove from the tin and remove the baking parchment. This bread tends to sink a little in the middle, don't worry about that.



It slices quite easily when cool.



Store, wrapped in baking parchment, in the fridge.


Please come and say hello on Facebook and Twitter!

This recipe is linked to Allergy-Free WednesdaysFull Plate ThursdayGluten Free FridaysFight Back FridayWhole Food FridaysFat TuesdayHearth and Soul Blog Hop


18 comments:

  1. I can smelly its heavenly scent all the way across the pond! Looks scrumptious, Vicky!
    Hugs,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan, I'm just going over to look at your new bread recipe, it sounds delicious! xo

      Delete
  2. Vicky, this gluten free banana bread looks delicious. we are banana bread loving family. However not tried with gluten free flours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Swathi! This recipe is so simple and quick to make let me know if you try it.

      Delete
  3. This bread looks absolutely terrific, Vicky! I have tried one grain-free banana bread recipe and didn't care for it, so I'm excited about trying yours soon. I ALWAYS have bananas (many are in my freezer!). Shared on FB and can't wait to share on All Gluten-Free Desserts soon! Will Pin, too. :-)

    xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! I hope you like this recipe! I've never thought of freezing bananas, probably because when the children were younger it was a challenge just to make a bunch last a couple of days! It's such a good idea!

      Thank you once more for your wonderful support, I really, really appreciate it. The All Gluten-Free Desserts site is awesome, I'm always following your links there! The Citrus and Olive Oil cake you recently linked looks almost refreshing and the chocolate cake from the other day looks to die for!!!

      Vicky x

      Delete
  4. YUMMMMY! This bread looks great and so moist! :) Thanks for kicking off a great party this week! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!

    We have a giveaway next week!!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! I'll look forward to the giveaway next week!

      Delete
  5. Hi Vicky,
    Sure wish I had a slice of this to go with my afternoon tea. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love banana bread. This sounds like an interesting twist with the date paste. Yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Jo! I tried making a vegan version of it without eggs yesterday in muffin cases, they cooked BUT with a huge dip in the centre of each muffin! However, my husband was quite happy with the result - back to the drawing board on those though, it's so difficult to make grain free vegan cakes!

      Delete
  7. This looks awesome but I don't know how to convert grams into cups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - there's a tab at the top called "Measures" this should help. Roughly, 1 cup of almond flour is 100g, two thirds of a cup walnuts is 65 grams, a third of a cup of date paste is 80ml.

      Hope that helps

      Delete
  8. Vicky, my friend, this bread looks amazing. Banana is my FAVORITE and I love walnuts in my bread, always. Just fabulous. I am going to try and make this very soon! It looks like the perfect breakfast food too. I will be featuring this recipe tonight on AFW. You are such a grain free baking queen!!!

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber, such sweet words! Actually I do eat it for breakfast! And thank you for the feature!

      Delete
  9. I will make this but instead of a loaf I will turn the bread into cupcakes. I made a recipe for wheatless muffins that use bananas and peanut butter... I am sure your banana bread will be a success at our home. Yummy!!! :) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa! I think they will work wonderfully as cupcakes!

      Delete
  10. I have been baking with almond flour and like the texture quite a bit. Haven't tried making banana bread with it as yet, but it looks like a winner based on your recipe. :) Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete