Thursday, 28 March 2013

Grain Free Hot Cross Carrot Muffins GF SCD


This morning I had a brainwave, why not use strips of courgette (zucchini to most of you) to make a cross on the top of muffins? I was going to make carrot cake this Easter for the family but instead I decided to make Hot Cross Carrot Muffins instead using the spices of a Hot Cross Bun. I'm so pleased I decided to make them because they taste wonderful!!

The spices I've used are similar to the ones in my Grain Free Hot Cross Bun recipe but I've not included quite as much allspice. Don't worry about being exact with the spices, be generous with your spoonfuls!





Hot Cross Carrot Muffins GF SCD

2 medium/large carrots (about 2 rounded cups not packed)
1 small courgette (zucchini)
250g ground almonds
80g sultanas & raisins (or any dried fruit mix)
Grated rind of 1 unwaxed orange
2 large organic eggs (extra large in the US)
2 tblsps extra virgin olive oil or warmed coconut oil
80ml acacia honey
1 tblsp organic cider vinegar 
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 rounded tsps cinnamon
½ rounded tsp ground ginger
½ rounded tsp mace (or nutmeg)
¼ rounded tsp allspice
¼ tsp sea salt

If you need to convert these measurements or use a Fahrenheit oven setting, please see the tab at the top of the page marked measures. These are approximate though since it depends on the size of your cup. This recipe makes 12 muffins. Place some paper cases into a muffin tray.



Set the oven to 170° C (fan/convection oven). Peel and grate the carrots, at this point they weigh about 250 grams. Squeeze the moisture out with some paper towel.




Slice a piece of the courgette into thin strips.


Measure out the ground almonds, grated orange rind, sultanas, raisins, bicarbonate of soda, salt and spices into one bowl and whisk together with a fork.


Measure out the honey, eggs, extra virgin olive oil and cider vinegar into another bowl and whisk together with a balloon whisk or fork.


Add the grated carrots to the dry ingredients and mix together.


Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix quickly because the vinegar starts to react with the bicarbonate of soda straight away and this helps the muffins to rise.


Fill the bun cases to just over half full and place two strips of courgette (zucchini) on top to form a cross.


Bake in the oven for twenty minutes then turn down the heat to 160° C for a further 10 to 15 minutes. They are cooked when a skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly touched. Don't be tempted to open the door before 30 minutes. I made six with crosses and six without today. 



Leave on a cooling rack to cool.


These are nice warm as well as cold.





This recipe is going to be shared as part of the March 2014 Muffin Madness Event on Gluten Free Easily.


Please visit Shirley's site to check out all the other awesome muffin recipes.


Please come and say hello on Facebook and Twitter !

This recipe is linked to Gluten Free FridaysWhole Food FridaysFight Back FridayFresh Bites FridayAllergy Friendly Friday

12 comments:

  1. YUM! I love the ingredients in these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gabby! So nice of you! Hope you have a lovely Easter weekend!

      Delete
  2. Hi Vicky!
    I left you a comment on these last night, but I don't think it took for some reason, so I'm trying again. These little babies are beautiful! Perfect for Easter, and I love how you used the zucchini for the crosses instead of a glaze. I would have never thought of that. Very creative!

    Wishing you and your family a very blessed Easter!
    Hugs,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Megan! I'm not actually a very creative person, so I'm quite shocked that I thought of it! However, my children are all extremely creative, I guess it skipped a few generations! Have a wonderful Easter with your lovely family xo

      Delete
  3. Your Hot Cross Carrot Muffins look lovely! What a great combination of flavours and spices. They really sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love these!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    The party will be GREAT this week! We are giving away a tote full of goodies from Namaste Foods! The items are gluten free and allergy friendly! Can't wait to see what you bring to the party!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you are most welcome!

      Delete
  5. These are beautiful! ;) One dessert I didn't make this easter and I really wanted to was dessert with carrots!
    These surely inspire me and I can't wait to bite into a carrot muffin now ;)
    Hope all is well and you had a lovely Easter. xo Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ella! I wish I could make these vegan, but I've tried and it doesn't work! I might have to redesign the recipe! Ooo I've just thought of something! Watch out for a recipe!

      Thank you, we have a lovely Easter, hope you did too!

      Vicky xo

      Delete
  6. Hi Vicky,

    These look so amazing! You are such a grain free baking queen!!

    Hope you're doing well. It's warming up here in my neck of the woods.

    xo,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber, I think you may well be the gluten-free baking queen soon! We're doing well thank you and it's warming up here a little too!

      Take care

      Vicky x

      Delete