Sunday, 5 May 2013

Grain Free Ginger & Lemon Tart in a Glass GF SCD


It was my husband's birthday yesterday and I decided to make my Ginger and Lemon Tart in a glass instead of a birthday cake since life is a little hectic at the moment! I definitely think I should have used smaller glasses though because we only ate half of it but that's a good thing since there's some left for tonight.





Grain Free Ginger & Lemon Tart in a Glass GF SCD

ginger snaps
170 g (1½ cups) cashews
90 ml honey (or agave nectar not SCD)
60 ml organic coconut oil
60 to 90 ml almond milk
rind of 2 to 3 lemons (depending on the size of your lemons)
90 ml lemon juice
small punnet of blueberries


I divided this mixture into 4 whiskey glasses but you could use six smaller tumblers is you wish. Measure out the cashew nuts, tip into a bowl and pour filtered water over them and leave to soak for two hours. Follow the directions for making the grain free ginger snaps. Crush the biscuits onto crumbs either in the food processor or crush the biscuits between two sheets of greaseproof paper with a rolling pin.



Wash the blueberries then make the lemon cream. Melt the coconut oil gently, rinse the cashews well with filtered water and tip into a blender. Add the honey (or other liquid sweetener), almond milk, coconut oil, lemon juice and lemon rind. 



Blend until very smooth, this can take a few minutes depending on how powerful your blender is. Start with 60ml of almond milk and add more if you think it seems a little too thick. Layer the biscuits, lemon cream and blueberries starting with the ginger biscuit crumbs.


  
Add a layer of lemon cream more biscuit crumbs then a few blueberries.



Repeat the layers.


Continue until you reach the top of the glass.



Chill for at least three hours - it's even better made a day before you want to serve it.  You could layer it without the blueberries and grate a little lemon rind on the top. Either way it's so quick and easy to make and absolutely delicious to eat!

Please come and say hello on Facebook and Twitter

This recipe has been linked to Hearth and Soul Blog HopFat TuesdayFull Plate ThursdayWellness WeekendHealthy Vegan FridayWhole Food FridaysAllergy Free WednesdaysPotluck Party Healthy Spring Recipes

27 comments:

  1. Yum, this is fantastic, so perfect for warmer temperatures! I am envisioning a version with leftover almond meal ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I definitely agree Gabby, it's a fantastic dessert for Summer and looks so pretty too. Once the ginger snaps are made, it's very quick to put together! Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Awesome dessert, I've made the tarts a few times, and when I'm lazy and can't be bothered making the ginger snaps, what I do is toast some shredded coconut and almond meal in a frying pan with coconut oil and honey and spices, and crumble that over the top of the lemon cashew mixture - yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat! I love your idea, I'm always looking for ideas to save time - thank you for sharing it with us!

      Delete
  3. These individual servings of this dessert look fantastic, Vicky! There's something about seeing all the wonderful layers--and the repetition of them--that makes for such a special dessert. I bet your husband loved his birthday dessert! :-) I love Cat's idea, too, on a non-cookie option. I'm all about lazy! ;-)

    xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley, yes he did, in fact we all did. I have to agree with you, desserts in a glass look so colourful and inviting! And yes, I agree, Cat's idea is fantastic! xo

      Delete
    2. Hey Vicky, I just wanted to follow up and let you know that I shared this recipe over at All Gluten-Free Desserts ... All the Time. I know folks will absolutely love it! :-)

      xo,
      Shirley

      Delete
    3. I feel honoured Shirley, thank you so much. I'm so pleased you like it..maybe this is a first of many desserts in a glass, we'll see :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Vicky!
    I saw these last night and they nearly made me get up and start experimenting with a ginger snap recipe. ;) LOL! These look so wonderful - light, refreshing, and perfect in their single serve glasses! Your photos are gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Megan, I look forward to seeing your ginger snap recipe! We really enjoyed them, it made such a lovely change from birthday cake xo

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a very special Mothers Day Weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miz Helen! Hope your Mother's Day went well, ours was in March and it was lovely!

      Delete
  6. Hi Vicky,

    When I saw that first picture my mouth just started watering. Your pictures are so gorgeous! And I just love the simplicity of this delightful dessert. I will be making this tomorrow for my mother's day treat! I will attempt the ginger snaps with sunflower seed flour, soooo we will see how that goes. I just can't do the almond flour these days. Nuts are okay and cashews don't bother me, especially when they are soaked and blended well.

    By far my favorite dessert is anything with lemon, and then you add in that ginger! Perfection. Well done with this one, Vicky. Well done. (I just stopped typing and clapped for you) he he.

    Have a fabulous weekend and a Happy Mother's Day to you. Wait, do you celebrate Mothers' Day in the UK? Not sure, at any rate, have a beautiful weekend.

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber, your comments are always guaranteed to bring a smile to my face, so lovely!

      We have our Mother's Day in March. I hope you have a wonderful day today!

      Enjoy the dessert, I hope the ginger snaps work out, they should do! I must experiment with sunflower seed flour soon!

      Have a wonderful weekend!

      Vicky xo

      Delete
    2. Hello Vicky,

      I made these on Mother's Day! They were such a great treat. And they turned out so pretty. I wanted to share my picture with you.

      xo,
      --Amber

      FB: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=594907027199760&set=a.292220644135068.78458.288512964505836&type=1

      Delete
    3. They look fantastic! Thank you for sharing your photo and for making the recipe! Here's a quick link to Amber's Photo if anyone wants to go take a peek and please like Amber on FB and visit her blog, she has the most amazing recipes there!

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Vicki. You're so sweet my friend! :-)

      I am featuring this beautiful recipe tonight on AFW! It was a wonderful treat and I hope others get a chance to enjoy it too.

      xo,
      --Amber

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful celebration dessert, Vicky! It's a wonderful alternative to cake, especially in the warmer weather. I love the idea of the ginger, lemon and blueberries together, and the fact the recipe is so allergy friendly is wonderful. I'm going to feature it in my H&S post tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April, That's so kind of you! Because it's so simple to make it's a great time saver and I think it looks so pretty!

      Delete
  8. That is delicious dessert Vicky, I love your idea of individual serving Looks yumm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Swathi! I think the individual servings work really well!

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to make this! I started following you by e-mail and can't wait to make some your awesome looking food :)

    -Cassidy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassidy, your blog has some wonderful treats on it which I can't wait to try!

      Delete
  10. All I can say is YUM! This looks delicious!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm great idea with ginger snaps!!! Inspiring me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ginger and lemon is a marriage made in heaven!

      Delete