Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Grain Free & Tree Nut Free Crunchy Cereal GF SCD


“When You’re Grain Free and Feeling Like A Nut, But Can’t Eat Tree Nuts or Peanuts!” - this is the theme for the "Go Ahead Honey it's Gluten Free" event hosted by Shirley of GFE - Gluten Free Easily and All Gluten Free Desserts this month. I'm always ready for a challenge and this recipe came about by accident when some cookies I'd created failed! I adjusted the recipe and created a crunchy cereal or topping or snack and it's rather addictive so be careful you don't eat too much!




Since I've noticed there are many people following grain free diets who are deciding to cut down on the amount of nuts they consume, it's been my intention to try baking with seed flours for some time now and the topic provided by Shirley gave me the ideal opportunity - and this is what I created - sweet, crunchy golden nuggets which are full of goodness!



The ingredients are very simple and it takes no time at all to mix together but if you like to soak and dehydrate your seeds you will need to prepare them the day before you make this. Also, if you are following the SCD, seeds are an advanced food so be careful! I made two batches of the recipe and the nuggets filled up the large 1.5 litre Kilner jar in the photos with some left over for munching!

Grain & Tree Nut Free Crunchy Cereal GF SCD

50g organic hulled sunflower seeds
50g organic hulled pumpkin seeds
50g organic unsweetened dessicated coconut
60ml honey (or other liquid sweetener for vegan diets - maple syrup would work well)
15ml extra virgin olive oil (1 tblsp)
1 tsp organic vanilla extract (no sugar added)
⅛ tsp bicarbonate of soda
⅛ tsp ground sea salt

* for a chocolate version add 50g plain chocolate chips (not SCD)

Set the oven to 140°C. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Measure out the dessicated coconut, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl then tip the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds into a processor (I use a mini chopper).




Pulse for a few seconds until the seeds are roughly chopped.



Take out 2 tablespoons of seeds and tip into the bowl with the other dry ingredients. Continue to process the rest of the seeds until they are finely ground.



Tip the seed flour into the bowl. Mix all the dry ingredients well with a fork or spoon.



Measure the honey, vanilla extract and extra virgin olive oil into another bowl and mix well together.



Add the wet ingredients to the seed mix and stir until the mixture comes together, it may seem ever so slightly dry but don't worry about that.



It's green! I thought I'd end up with green cereal!



Tip out onto the baking tray. It drops out in bits just make sure there aren't too many very large or very small bits of mixture.



Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden, it does spread a bit! This batch took exactly 25 minutes in the fan (convection) oven. Leave to cool then break into pieces.



Store in an air tight jar.



There are so many ways you can eat these crispy, nutty nuggets. We like them straight out of the jar but you could break them into smaller chunks or grind into small crumbs.  Here's a few ideas :

  • as a breakfast cereal with milk or dairy free milk
  • on top of fresh fruit
  • on stewed fruit for an instant fruit crumble
  • with dried fruit
  • with chocolate chips
  • as an ice cream topping

It's so easy to make, I can't believe I haven't made this recipe before! It's also quite sweet so you may wish to reduce the sweetener slightly though you may also have to reduce the seeds as well. Also, please don't forget to visit the other recipes over at the post on GFE - Gluten Free Easily at the beginning of next month to see the other nut free creations, I'm sure they will be fantastic!

Please come and say hello on Facebook and Twitter !

25 comments:

  1. Vicky, this recipe is brilliant! I love how easy it is and am imagining the crunchy texture and sweet flavor. :-) I used to love cereals that had this type of goodness, but can't do any store-bought "gluten-free" cereals so this recipe is perfect for me. I know it will be for others, too. I can't wait to share!

    xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! It's the "easy" that I like too! I think it would be lovely with maple syrup too - we think it's nicer than store bought though I've forgotten what they taste like now but it's really similar to the "clusters" type cereal.

      Thank you for hosting the event, I can't wait to see everything!

      Delete
  2. Oooohhh... Vicky, you're a genius! This sounds so wonderful! I just had to give up honey (and all forms of sugar). Do you think if I replaced the honey with egg white it might work okay?

    Hugs!!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan!! I hope going sugar free helps, are you including dried fruit because you could mix some pureed fruit in with the seeds and I think it may also work with egg white..though I haven't tried it xo

      Delete
  3. I agree--brilliant! Just plastered this baby all over Pinterest! I can't wait to try it out--my mouth is already watering. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thank you for pinning Ricki! It really is nice and we couldn't tell it was made from seed flour at all! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do if you try it out!

      Delete
  4. Hey Vicky,

    OMG! This is tooo funny. I am also sharing a nut free cereal for Go Ahead Honey (with very similar ingredients). Look at us. We are food soul mates. :-) Mine is a apple cinnamon (raw) version. I'm also working on a chocolate coconut. I can't wait to try yours too, vicky. It really does look like a cereal. That was sort of my struggle - you know, should I attempt to make something that looks like flakes, or just call it cereal and let it look how it looks. Anyway, I am posting it in the morning, so you can tell me what you think. :-)

    Hugs,
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Apple cinnamon sounds lovely and coconut chocolate - yum! I wish I had a dehydrator it opens up so many more options! This is really seed "clusters" - not seed cereal - I should have called it crunchy clusters. I'm off over to see yours right now xo

      Delete
  5. i love that you crumbled them all up.. i usually dont like sunflower seeds, but when they are are ground into something i am fine with them.. this granola looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richa, this doesn't really taste of seeds - even though there are so many in the recipe! There are so many options for spicing it up too!

      Delete
  6. Perfect snack to carry around for the moments of sudden hunger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is Amy Jo! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I do something similar, except I use leftover almond pulp. Thanks for the idea of using ground up seeds to switch it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must try this with my almond pulp what a great idea Gabby!

      Delete
  8. I like that you used only healthy nuts. These in a health food store cost a ton. Great recipe Vicky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great. I'm glad your cereal didn't come out too green! I've been following your blog quietly for a long time but came upon this particular post after reading your story on Gluten-Free Easily. I'm a celiac-having vegetarian, so there's a fair amount of overlap between your cooking and mine. I always appreciate your creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly! I love your blog! I too am pleased it didn't come out green else I would have had to keep the post back to St Patrick's Day next year! I'm so happy you like my recipes and THANK YOU for writing a comment so I can follow you too :)

      Delete
    2. Vicky, I'm a little late on the uptake here but thank you! :D

      Delete
  10. This looks perfect for snacks or yogurt topping, I like that you used seeds. My oven doesn't go below 170°, so I will have to try this in my dehydrator. Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! You are welcome and thank you! Actually it's 300 in Fahrenheit and 150 in Celsius so I think your oven will be OK :)

      Delete
  11. I love your blog. I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Read about it here:
    http://catsinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-liebster-award-and-silly-things.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found this recipe few weeks ago when I was searching SCD müsli recipes for my sister (she doesn't know English so well and in Finland we don't have so many SCD blogs)..
    So I had to try this because it had very simple ingredients and was very easy to make..
    And wow it was soooo good! I'm not on SCD diet myself but this is so much better than what you can get from markets and I've been making this ever since :) Thank you for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so addictive isn't it? I have to make two batches every time I make it. Thank you so much for your feedback. I hope your sister is doing well on the diet.

      Delete
    2. Yes! It is very addictive! :D But I still haven't convinced my boyfriend to try it..I thinks he thinks its too healty so it has to be bad :D
      But I've been wondering if you have tried to substitude the honey with some pureed dried and soaked dates or apricots? Because the right kind of honey is quite expensive here..I am planning to try to do that with the next batch..of course it's gonna change the taste a bit but I don't mind that :)

      Delete