Monday, 31 March 2014

Vegan & Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Cake GF


It was Mother's Day in the UK yesterday and the perfect excuse to bake a cake! But in order to satisfy everyone's dietary needs, it HAD to be vegan AND gluten free. I have to admit that many of my attempts at baking vegan cakes with gluten free flours have turned out to be very disappointing, in fact quite disastrous really! However, as soon as I saw the beautiful vegan lemon drizzle cake on Bit of The Good Stuff, I knew that I MUST attempt to make it gluten free and yesterday was the ideal occasion since my daughter was visiting and she adores lemon drizzle cake.

For the last couple of weeks I've been researching egg substitutes and have come across some great information. Flax and chia seeds are the preferred choice for vegan baking since when they are highly gelatinous when combined with water. I have used ground flax seeds in some recipes such as my gluten free scones and my gluten free and egg free chocolate cake but I find they can sometimes leave an nasty after taste, even when freshly ground. I don't use chia seeds either, it's not something everyone has in their store cupboard or can easily get hold of in the UK and I've discovered that they can make baked goods overly moist.

Since I also don't like to use xanthan gum if I can possibly help it, I needed to find another ingredient which would help to bind all the ingredients together. After all my reading, I decided to try gram flour also known as garbanzo bean flour, chickpea flour or besan. I've been cooking with this fine, yellow gluten free flour for years. I can happily recommend the Doves Farm Gram Floursince it's guaranteed to be gluten free and of high quality. It's fantastic for egg free batters and perfect for vegetable pakoras and onion bhajis - a great favourite of ours - as well as for egg free pancakes and burgers.



Sharon's original recipe provided a fantastic starting point to develop a gluten free recipe. I used a xanthan gum free flour mix, cut down on the sugar a little and used my own home made almond milk. I would normally opt for Organic Coconut Palm Sugar but as this would most likely change the colour of the cake, I chose to include organic, unrefined golden granulated sugar. I also changed the amount of baking powder and added some extra lemon juice. I think it isn't quite as fluffy as the original but it's definitely the best vegan gluten free cake I've made.



Vegan & Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Cake GF

235 g Gluten Free Plain Flour mix (I used Doves Farm GF plain flour which doesn't include xanthan gum)
15 g gram flour
2¼ tsps gluten free baking powder
¼ tsp salt
170 g unrefined granulated sugar
85 ml extra virgin olive oil
265 ml almond milk (or other non dairy milk)
3 tblsps freshly squeezed lemon juice
zest of 2 lemons

Lemon Drizzle
2 tblsps unrefined granulated sugar
juice of 1 lemon


  • Set the oven to 180° C (I have a fan/convection oven).
  • Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment of a loaf tin liner.
  • Sift the gluten free flour, gram flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
  • In a separate bowl whisk together the sugar, oil, almond milk and lemon juice then stir in the lemon zest.
  • Pour the wet ingredients ingredients into the dry and stir until combined and smooth but don't over stir.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared tin and place on the middle shelf of the oven.
  • Bake for 50 - 60 minutes (mine took 60 minutes) or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
  • Meanwhile make the lemon drizzle by stirring the freshly squeezed lemon juice and sugar together in a small bowl.
  • When the cake is baked, remove from the oven and pierce all over with a skewer or tooth pick.
  • Pour some of the drizzle all over the cake while it is still hot, start with half the drizzle only, don't drench the cake.
  • Leave in the tin to cool down for 30 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.


Please visit Sharon on Facebook and Twitter and I know you will love the posts on her blog, Bit of the Good Stuff, where she writes about

  "....the stuff I'm currently passionate about, including my journey into the world of whole food plant-based cooking."

You can also join me on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right) to be notified of all my new posts.

This recipe has been shared at The Hearth & Soul HopGluten-Free WednesdaysAllergy-Free WednesdaysGluten Free FridaysWhole Food Fridays

28 comments:

  1. This looks utterly wonderful! Lemon drizzle was probably my favourite cake growing up! Great that you successfully de-glutenised it. Gram flour to the rescue yet again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma, gram flour is quite magical in many ways and also offers that additional protein boost! Love it!

      Delete
  2. I am so delighted that the cake worked out for you. It looks amazing and your photos are truly stunning! ♥ As you know, I've been struggling with GF baking myself, so I'm really grateful that you've managed to 'gluten free' the cake on our behalf. I can't wait to give it a try! Thank you so much once again xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon and without your fantastic recipe, I wouldn't have even attempted to make one!

      Delete
  3. I love lemon drizzle cake - it's so perfect with a cup of tea! It was interesting to read how you got the recipe just right, Vicky, and so lovely that everyone can enjoy this cake :-) Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. I've shared it on Facebook and pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, cake and tea is wonderful! Thank you for sharing April.

      Delete
  4. Great recipe! I'd love to have you share it at the #glutenfreefridays link up (live now) I know my readers would enjoy your recipe! :) The lemon has me hungry!!! ;) Hope to see you there again, we miss your recipes!! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping over Cindy and of course, I'm delighted to share at your party!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

      Can't wait to see what you link up this week! The party link up is open!

      Cindy

      Delete
  5. Wow! This looks really great. You are so right - it really is hard to master a GF AND Vegan cake - looks like you've done it, tho : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna,it's lovely to see you here!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous cake, Vicky! So glad you shared it on Gluten-Free Wednesdays--thanks! I've never heard chickpea flour called gram flour. You are always educating me!

    xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! Chickpea flour goes by a few different names but "gram" is what we are familiar with in the UK.

      Delete
  7. Vicky, If I can grab from the screen. I love to eat a piece. Looks so yumm. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Swathi! Thank you, I hope you get a chance to make it. I also link to the non gluten free one in the post too!

      Delete
  8. Can you substitute Coconut oil for the Olive oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure Jena, I think the cake relies on the liquid oil to replace the eggs. It may alter the texture of the cake. If you try it, let me know. Sorry I couldn't help more.

      Delete
  9. Hi Vicky,

    This cake looks absolutely AMAZING! I can't believe it's eggless too. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audrey! It's a treat cake and I was so pleased it worked out so well!

      Delete
  10. wowwwwwwww! I'm gonna make this right now. Been vegan 3 years and just went gluten free. So far GF baking has been kind of disasterous for me but this cake looks delicious and simple to make. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  11. I saw this beauty on Sharon’s FB and I was drooling all over her cake. I’m bookmarking this….yessssssssss! I NEED CAKE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rika (I don't know how I missed your comment) x

      Delete
  12. Hi Vicky, this has to be the best looking vegan & GF cake I have seen (it looks like it has he perfect texture!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've actually improved the recipe since so I may be amending it soon.

      Delete
  13. Any way to get the amount of ingredients in an another form than g. and a substitute for gram flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what you mean by g.? However, you could use ground almonds (almond flour) instead of the gram flour and try that. If you want to make it without gluten free flour, try Sharon's recipe (link in the post), it looks awesome!

      Delete
    2. Do you mean grams? Mm I'll have to do some conversions or you could google conversions and see what pops up :)

      Delete