I made this salad at the same time as the Green Bean, Pea and Haricot Bean Salad when we had very little food to choose from in the cupboard and fridge. It's a very simple and quick to prepare salad and full of plant protein. You can choose any vegetables which are suitable for roasting in this salad.
Quinoa Courgette and Carrot Salad GF
1 large courgette
1 red onion
3 medium carrots
100g baby plum tomatoes
water or vegetable stock (double the volume of quinoa)
extra virgin olive oil
2 heaped tsps dried oregano
½ tsp paprika (or more)
2 tblsps chopped fresh parsley
4 or more finely chopped mint leaves
juice of half a lemon (I just squeezed it by hand)
freshly ground black pepper
- Set the oven to 190°C.
- Slice the red onion, courgette and carrots then tip into a roasting dish and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the dried oregano, a large pinch of sea salt and paprika to taste then roast in the oven for about 45 to 50 minutes or until soft. After about 40 minutes add the sliced baby plum tomatoes.
- Meanwhile cook the quinoa, I used white quinoa but red would work well. Thoroughly rinse the quinoa under running water because the seeds are coated with saponins, naturally-occurring plant chemicals that result in a bitter taste if the seeds aren't rinsed enough. Tip the seeds into a pan and pour the water or vegetable stock over. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, at this point the white curly germ will have separated from the seed. Take off the heat, put the lid back on and leave until the rest of the water is absorbed.
- When the vegetables are soft, tip into a bowl with the oil in the pan. Add the quinoa and the chopped herbs.
- Squeeze the juice from about half a lemon over the top and add some freshly ground black pepper. Stir well.
Serve straight away or leave to cool in the fridge.
If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).