These tasty baked hasselback courgettes (zucchini) make the perfect vegetable side dish especially if you're cutting back on carbs or following the SCD. I tried to get hold of some round courgettes but unfortunately I couldn't find any which is a shame because I think these would make the perfect replacement for hasselback potatoes.
I've kept this recipe quite simple but there are many other ways you can prepare this dish, for example :
- Add finely chopped chilli to the basil oil.
- Use other fresh herbs such as rosemary and thyme.
- Use a teaspoon of dried oregano or other dried herbs.
- Sprinkle with cheese or vegan cheese.
- Add pressed garlic to the oil.
- Stuff with a few chopped sun dried tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with a little lemon rind.
- Various combinations of the above.
Hasselback Courgettes or Zucchini with Basil Oil GF SCD
2 or 3 courgettes
A handful of washed and dried fresh basil leaves for the oil and garnish
2 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
Flaked sea salt
- Set the oven to 180° C.
- Slice the courgettes about ½cm thick being careful not to cut through the base.
- Finely chop a handful of basil leaves and mix into 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. I used my Kenwood Mini Chopper
- Place the courgettes carefully into an oiled oven proof dish.
- Brush with the basil oil carefully pushing down some of the oil and chopped basil leaves into the sliced openings.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes until tender.
- Garnish with chopped fresh basil leaves
More Courgette Recipes you may like :
- Courgette & Roasted Cherry Tomato Soup
- Courgette and Carrot Muffins
- Courgette and Pea Salad
- Golden Courgette Pasta
- Stuffed Courgettes
- A Very Green Salad
I'm linking this post to the May #EatYourGreens Challenge hosted by Shaheen at Allotment2Kitchen.
If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).